Education and Training
Medical School - Government Medical College, Nagpur, India. (1994-2000)
Surgical Residency India - Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore, India. (2000-2003)
Surgical Residency U.K. - Leicester Royal Infirmary, Preston Royal Hospital, Royal University Hospital Kent. (2004-2007)
Surgical Residency USA - St John Providence Hospital and Medical Centers, Detroit, Michigan. (2007-2014)
Colorectal Fellowship - Rutgers University, Robert Wood Johnson Hospital, New Jersey. (2014-2015)
Dr Subhas is a board certified Colorectal Surgeon. He got this certification from the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. He is also a board certified General Surgeon. He is a member of various national and international societies and participates actively in them.
Dr Subhas has a vast surgical experience. He did is medical schooling from Government Medical College Nagpur. He did a rigorous surgical residency in India. He continued his surgical training in United Kingdom working as Registrar in Surgery in Preston, and Kent. With a goal to practice surgery in United States he repeated his surgical residency in St John Providence Hospital in Detroit. This was 7 year residency which included a dedicated year of research. Having developed interest in colorectal surgery during his stay in United Kingdom, he did his fellowship in Colorectal surgery in Rutgers University, New Jersey.
Dr Subhas believes in conducting research for the advancement of medical field. He has authored many peer reviewed articles in various national and international journals. He has also presented his study in numerous regional, national and international society meetings.
AMERICAN BOARD OF COLON AND RECTAL SURGERY
AMERICAN BOARD OF SURGERY - (General Surgery)
Membership and Affiliations
- Member of the American College of Surgeons. (ACS)
- Resident member of Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- Resident member of American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS)
- Resident member of Society of Surgeons of Alimentary Tract (SSAT)
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. MRCS (Ed)
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow. MRCS (Glasg)
- Junior Fellow of the International College of Surgeons (ICS)
- Member of European Society of Digestive Oncology (ESDO)
- Life member of the Association of Surgeons of India. (ASI)
Publication in peer reviewed journals
- Patel M, Bhullar JS, Subhas G, Mittal V. Present Status of Autonomy in Surgical Residency-a Program Director's Perspective. Am Surg. 2015 Aug;81(8):786-90. PubMed PMID: 26215240.
- Philip S, Subhas G, Karnib S, Mittal VK. The indication for colectomy does not influence the management of anastomotic leaks. Am Surg. 2015 Apr;81(4):E154-6. PubMed PMID: 25831163.
- Subhas G, Rana G, Bhullar J, Essad K, Mohey L, Mittal VK. Percutaneous drainage of a diverticular abscess should be limited to two attempts for a resilient diverticular abscess. Am Surg. 2014 Jul;80(7):635-9. PubMed PMID: 24987892.
- Bhullar JS, Makarawo T, Subhas G, Alomari A, Silberberg B, Tilak J, Decker M,Mittal VK. A true orthotopic gastric cancer murine model using electrocoagulation. J Am Coll Surg. 2013 Jul;217(1):64-70; discussion 70-1. PubMed PMID: 23583619.
- Unawane AV, Patel K, Bhullar JS, Subhas G, Mittal VK, Cheung LY. Success of reminder systems in reducing catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Am Surg. 2013 Jul;79(7):745-6. PubMed PMID: 23816012.
- Chaudhary S, Bhullar JS, Subhas G, Mittal VK. Hematocele after laparoscopic appendectomy. JSLS. 2012 Oct-Dec;16(4):660-2. PubMed PMID: 23484582.
- Bhullar JS, Subhas G, Gupta A, Jacobs MJ, Decker M, Silberberg B, Mittal VK. Transvesical NOTES: survival study in porcine model. JSLS. 2012 Oct-Dec;16(4):606-11. PubMed PMID: 23484572.
- Bhullar JS, Subhas G, Chaudhary S, Silberberg B, Tilak J, Decker M, Mittal VK. Intratumoral acetic acid injection eradicates human prostate cancer tumors in a murine model. World J Urol. 2013 Apr;31(2):331-7. PubMed PMID: 23212295.
- Chaudhary S, Bhullar JS, Subhas G, Mittal VK, Kolachalam R. Single-incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy (SILC) using non-articulating instruments and conventional trocars-single surgeon experience. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Apr;17(4):809-13. PubMed PMID: 23188225.
- Subhas G, Singh Bhullar J, Al-Omari A, Unawane A, Mittal VK, Pearlman R. Setons in the treatment of anal fistula: review of variations in materials and techniques. Dig Surg. 2012;29(4):292-300. Review. PubMed PMID: 22948115.
- Gupta A, Unawane A, Subhas G, Herschman BR, Silapaswan S, Kolachalam R, Kestenberg W, Ferguson L, Jacobs MJ, Mittal VK. Parathyroidectomies using intraoperative parathormone monitoring: when should we stop measuring intraoperative parathormone levels? Am Surg. 2012 Aug;78(8):844-50. PubMed PMID: 22856490.
- Bhullar JS, Papapetrou P, Subhas G, Gupta N, Seman S, and Mittal VK. Spontaneous resolution of primary small bowel volvulus with oral contrast. J Curr Surg, 2012;2(3):110-11.
- Subhas G. Volume dictates outcomes. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2011 Aug;96(8):48-9. PubMed PMID: 22319916.
- Bhullar JS, Unawane A, Subhas G, Poonawala H, Dubay L, Ferguson L, Goriel Y, Jacobs MJ, Kolachalam RB, Silapaswan S, Mittal VK. Receptor changes in metachronous breast tumors-our experience of 10 years. Am J Surg. 2011 Dec 27. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22206855.
- Subhas G, Gupta A, Bhullar J, Dubay L, Ferguson L, Goriel Y, Jacobs MJ, Kolachalam RB, Silapaswan S, Mittal VK. Prolonged (longer than 3 hours) laparoscopic cholecystectomy: reasons and results. Am Surg. 2011 Aug;77(8):981-4. PubMed PMID: 21944510.
- Subhas G, Mittal VK. Minimally invasive training during surgical residency. Am Surg. 2011 Jul;77(7):902-6. PubMed PMID: 21944356.
- Juta J, Subhas G, Makarawo T, McLaughlin P, Pearlman R, McKendrick A. Prostatic Marker Needles to Define the Anterior Dissection Planes during APR for Rectal Cancers in Patients with Previous Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012 Feb;16(2):408-10. PubMed PMID: 21909846.
- Subhas G, Bhullar J, Mittal VK. Response to: Topical gentamicin does not provide any additional anastomotic strength when combined with fibrin glue. Am J Surg. 2011 Sep 2. PubMed PMID: 21890101.
- Korwar V, Subhas G, Gaddikeri P, Shivaswamy BS. Hydatid disease presenting as cutaneous fistula: review of a rare clinical presentation. Int Surg. 2011 Jan-Mar;96(1):69-73. Review. PubMed PMID: 21675624.
- Subhas G, Shah AJ, Gupta A, Cook J, Dubay L, Silapaswan S, Kolachalam R, Kestenberg W, Ferguson L, Jacobs MJ, Goriel Y, Mittal VK. Review of third and fourth re-excision for narrow or positive margins of invasive and intraductal carcinoma. Int Surg. 2011 Jan-Mar;96(1):18-20. PubMed PMID: 21675615.
- Subhas G, Bhullar J, Mittal VK, Jacobs MJ. Creation of reversible cholestatic rat model. J Vis Exp. 2011 May 21;(51). pii: 2692. doi: 10.3791/2692. PubMed PMID: 21633335.
- Subhas G, Gupta N, Mittal VK, Jacobs MJ. Laparoscopic three-port distal pancreatectomy. HPB (Oxford). 2011 May;13(5):361-3. PubMed PMID: 21492337.
- Bhullar JS, Subhas G, Silberberg B, Tilak J, Andrus L, Decker M, Mittal VK. A Novel Nonoperative Orthotopic Colorectal Cancer Murine Model Using Electrocoagulation. J Am Coll Surg. 2011 Jul;213(1):54-60; discussion 60-1. PubMed PMID: 21458302.
- Subhas G, Gupta A, Balaraman S, Mittal VK, Pearlman R. Non-cutting setons for progressive migration of complex fistula tracts: a new spin on an old technique. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2011 Jun;26(6):793-8. PubMed PMID: 21431319.
- Avenel P, Subhas G, Gasquet B, Atwal M, Mittal VK. Acute Colonic Pseudo-Obstruction (Ogilvie's Syndrome). Am Surg. 2010 Nov;76(11):195-6. PubMed PMID: 21375812.
- Subhas G, Bhullar JS, Cook J, Shah A, Silberberg B, Andrus L, Decker M, Mittal VK. Topical gentamicin does not provide any additional anastomotic strength when combined with fibrin glue. Am J Surg. 2011 Mar;201(3):339-43. PubMed PMID: 21367375.
- Subhas G, Mittal VK. Training minimal invasive approaches in hepatopancreatobilliary fellowship: the current status. HPB (Oxford). 2011 Mar;13(3):149-52. PubMed PMID: 21309929.
- Jain SA, Subhas G, Darda S, David S. Complete heart block due to central venous catherterization. Case report and review of literature. International Journal of Case Reports and Images 2011;2(4):15-18. PubMed.
- Subhas G, Bakston D, Ferguson L, Silapaswan S, Mittal VK. Abdominal wall pseudocyst fluid collection: a complication of pancreatic pseudocyst. Am Surg. 2010 Dec;76(12):1428-9. PubMed PMID: 21265363.
- Subhas G, Bakston D, Gupta A, Jacobs MJ, Mittal VK, Silapaswan S. Internal ring occlusion and floor support: a novel technique for inguinal hernia mesh repair. Am Surg. 2010 Sep;76(9):933-7. PubMed PMID: 20836337.
- Gupta A, Subhas G, Dubay L, Silapaswan S, Kolachalam R, Kestenberg W, Ferguson L, Jacobs MJ, Gorieil Y, Mittal VK. Review of re-excision for narrow or positive margins of invasive and intraductal carcinoma. Am Surg. 2010 Jul;76(7):731-4. PubMed PMID: 20698380.
- Subhas G, Kim E, Gupta A, Mittal VK, McKendrick A. Laparoscopic loop ileostomy with a single-port stab incision technique. Tech Coloproctol. 2010 Sep;15(3):337-9. PubMed PMID: 20617354.
- Subhas G, Gupta A, Bakston D, Silberberg B, Lobocki C, Andrus L, Decker M, Mittal VK, Jacobs MJ. Protective effect of methylprednisolone on warm ischemia-reperfusion injury in a cholestatic rat liver. Am J Surg. 2010 Mar;199(3):377-80; discussion 380-1. PubMed PMID: 20226914.
- Subhas G, Gupta A, Mittal VK. Necessity for improvement in endoscopy training during surgical residency. Am J Surg. 2010 Mar;199(3):331-5. PubMed PMID: 20226905.
- Subhas G, Balaraman S, Mittal VK, Pearlman R. Extraluminal rectal mucocele resulting from bowel sequestration at the anastomotic site after sigmoidectomy. Am Surg. 2010 Jan;76(1):107-8. PubMed PMID: 20135950.
- Katmawi-Sabbagh S, Haq A, Jain S, Subhas G, Turnham H. Impact of colour blindness on recognition of haematuria in bladder cancer patients. Urol Int. 2009;83(3):289-90. PubMed PMID: 19829027.
- Subhas G, Yoo S, Chang YJ, Peiper D, Frikker MJ, Bouwman DL, Silbergleit A, Lloyd LR, Mittal VK. Benefits of mock oral examinations in a multi-institutional consortium for board certification in general surgery training. Am Surg. 2009 Sep;75(9):817-21. PubMed PMID: 19774954.
- Gupta A, Subhas G, Mittal VK, Jacobs MJ. Pancreatic schwannoma: literature review. J Surg Educ. 2009 May-Jun;66(3):168-73. Review. PubMed PMID: 19712917.
- Patel P, Subhas G, Gupta A, Chang YJ, Mittal VK, McKendrick A. Oral vitamin A enhances the effectiveness of formalin 8% in treating chronic hemorrhagic radiation proctopathy. Dis Colon Rectum. 2009 Sep;52(9):1605-9. PubMed PMID: 19690489.
- Subhas G, Gupta A, Nawalany M, Oppat WF. Spontaneous isolated superior mesenteric artery dissection: a case report and literature review with management algorithm. Ann Vasc Surg. 2009 Nov-Dec;23(6):788-98. Review. PubMed PMID: 19467833.
- Kim E, Subhas G, Mittal VK, Golladay ES. C-reactive protein estimation does not improve accuracy in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis in pediatric patients. Int J Surg. 2009 Feb;7(1):74-7. PubMed PMID: 19070557.
- Hussain A, Mahmood H, Subhas G, El-Hasani S. Complicated diverticular disease of the colon, do we need to change the classical approach, a retrospective study of 110 patients in southeast England. World J Emerg Surg. 2008 Jan 24;3:5. PubMed PMID: 18218109; PubMed PMID: 2246106.
- Subhas G, Saidan Z. Role of mammogram in patients presenting with ultrasound confirmed breast cyst. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2006 Nov; 32(9): 1044.